Monday, November 09, 2009

1000 Complete Bacterial and Archaea Genomes -wow


1000 Complete Bacterial and Archaeal Genomes in Genbank. Big MileStone. Good day for a microbial genome party. This whole thing is amazing to me. I moved to TIGR in 1998 in order to get in early on the "genome sequencing revolution" as we called it then. We were amazed when the 10th genome came out. We were then thrilled when TIGR sequenced its 20th genome. And now, there are 1000. Amazing.

And as Nikos Kyrpides just told me (he is sitting next to me right now) - actually if you go to GOLD (Genomes Online) (Nikos runs this DB) you can see there are actually a few more than 1K there. Even more amazing.

Posted using ShareThis

4 comments:

  1. Do you think we'll get to 2000 completed any time soon or are draft genomes the wave of the future?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So which named species will be the first to have 1000 strains sequenced?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So which named species will be the first to have 1000 strains sequenced?

    You must be joking :-) You really think that E.coli will not be first? With Richard Lenski probably sequencing all his strains as we speak?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well these are complete genomes ... Rich may not quite finish his ... We shall see ... But my bets are on ecoli too

    ReplyDelete

Most recent post

My Ode to Yolo Bypass

Gave my 1st ever talk about Yolo Bypass and my 1st ever talk about Nature Photography. Here it is ...